How to filter data by quarter in Excel?
As we all know, a quarter contains three months of a year. Supposing, you have a large worksheet which contains the sale data of a year, and now you want to filter the rows of a specific quarter – Quarter 3. That is to say, you need to filter three months (July, August and September) data, how could you deal with this task quickly and easily in Excel?
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Fortunately, in Excel, there is a built-in feature called Filter can help you to quickly filter the data by quarter, please do as this:
1. Select the date column that you want to filter.
2. And then click Data > Filter.
3. And a button will be displayed at the right down corner of the header cell, click it, and then choose Date Filters > All Dates in the Period, and then click the Quarter that you want to filter out. See screenshot:
4. And all the data which meet your criteria has been filtered out as following screenshot shown:
If you are not attention to the above feature in Excel, you can also apply a helper column to solve it.
1. Firstly, you need a formula to extract the Quarter name from the date, please enter this: =(TRUNC((MONTH(D2)-1)/3))+1, (D2 indicates the date that you want to convert to Quarter name )see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the cell that you need to apply this formula, and all the Quarter names have been extracted as following screenshot shown, 1 stands for Quarter 1, 2 is Quarter 2, 3 is Quarter 3 and 4 is Quarter 4.
3. And in this step, you can filter by this new column, click Data > Filter, and then click button, from the context menu, check the Quarter which you want to filter. See screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all the rows which is belonged to the Quarter 3 have been filtered out.
Besides the above two methods, here, I can introduce you a powerful utility-Kutools for Excel, with its Super Filter function, you can finish more complex filter problem.
1. Please apply Kutools for Excel by clicking Enterprise > Super Filter, see screenshot:
2. In the popped out Super Filter dialog, do the following settings:
- A: Click button to select the data range that you want to filter. (The default selection is your used range)
- B: Select a relationship as you need.
- C: Then choose your criteria from the condition box.
3. After finishing setting the conditions, please click Filter button, and your specific Quarter data will be filtered out.
Note: To recover the original data, you can click Clear button in Super Filter dialog.