How to split word or number into separate cells in Excel?
If you have a list of numbers or words in a worksheet, and now you need to split the cell contents into letters on different cells as following screenshot shown, how can you deal with this job in Excel?
With the following simple formula, you can separate the cell contents on different cells quickly and conveniently.
1. In a blank cell next to your data, C1 for instance, please enter this formula =MID($A1, COLUMNS($A$1:A$1), 1), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the right cells until displaying blank cells, and the content in cell A1 has been split into separate cells.
3. And then continuing drag the fill handle down to the range that you want to apply this formula, and all the data in column A will be separated on different cells as you like. See screenshot:
If you are interested in VBA code, the following code also can do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys in Excel to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Split word into separate cells
Sub SplitStuff() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim Rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each Rng In InputRng xValue = Rng.Value xRow = Rng.Row For i = 1 To VBA.Len(xValue) OutRng.Cells(xRow, i).Value = VBA.Mid(xValue, i, 1) Next Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will remind you to select the data range that you want to use, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and another prompt box will pop out to tell you to select a cell for locate the result.
5. Then click OK, and the words or numbers in the selected cells have been split to individual characters. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel’s Split Cells feature is a powerful tool which can help you to split cell content into separated columns or rows with specific delimiters, at the same time, it also can separate the text and number into two columns.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to split.
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, please select Split to Columns under the Type, then check Specify width under the Split by section, and enter the number 1 into the text box which means to split the word into separated cells by each one character. See screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, another prompt box is popped out to remind you select a cell to output the result, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, the cell contents in the selection have been split to individual characters. See screenshot:
Combine separated letters or numbers into one word or number
If you want to combine these separated cell letters into one word by contrast with above methods, Kutools for Excel's Combine utility can help you combine them into one cell as quickly as you can.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!