How to split word or number into separate cells in Excel?
If you have a list of numbers or words in a worksheet, and now you need to split the cell contents into letters on different cells as following screenshot shown, how can you deal with this job in Excel?
Split word or number into separate cells with formula
With the following simple formula, you can separate the cell contents on different cells quickly and conveniently.
1. In a blank cell next to your data, C1 for instance, please enter this formula =MID($A1, COLUMNS($A$1:A$1), 1), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the right cells until displaying blank cells, and the content in cell A1 has been split into separate cells.
3. And then continuing drag the fill handle down to the range that you want to apply this formula, and all the data in column A will be separated on different cells as you like. See screenshot:
Split word or number into separate cells with VBA code
If you are interested in VBA code, the following code also can do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys in Excel to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Split word into separate cells
Dim Rng As Range
Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range
xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel"
Set InputRng = Application.Selection
Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8)
Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8)
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each Rng In InputRng
xValue = Rng.Value
xRow = Rng.Row
For i = 1 To VBA.Len(xValue)
OutRng.Cells(xRow, i).Value = VBA.Mid(xValue, i, 1)
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will remind you to select the data range that you want to use, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and another prompt box will pop out to tell you to select a cell for locate the result.
5. Then click OK, and the words or numbers in the selected cells have been split to individual characters. See screenshot:
Split word or number into separate cells with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel’s Split Cells feature is a powerful tool which can help you to split cell content into separated columns or rows with specific delimiters, at the same time, it also can separate the text and number into two columns.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to split.
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, please select Split to Columns under the Type, then check Specify width under the Split by section, and enter the number 1 into the text box which means to split the word into separated cells by each one character. See screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, another prompt box is popped out to remind you select a cell to output the result, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, the cell contents in the selection have been split to individual characters. See screenshot:
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.