How to sort data by day of week in Excel?
Supposing you have a data range, and now you want to sort the data by a column of days of week, such as from Sunday to Saturday. If you sort them by Sort feature in Excel, the values will be sorted in alphabetical order. How could you sort the rows by the name of the days of week in a worksheet?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Excel provides a special Sort order for such a case, you can sort rows by day of week with following steps:
1. Select the data range that you want to sort.
2. Click Data > Sort, and a Sort dialog will appear, in the Sort dialog box, choose the column name that you want to be sorted by under Column section, and then select Values from Sort On drop down list, in the Order drop down, please click Custom List option, see screenshot:
Note: If your selected data range contains header, please check My data has headers option.
3. Then in the Custom List dialog box, click your data list that you want to sorted by from the Custom lists box to add the values into List entries box, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button to return to the Sort dialog, and then click OK to close it. And your days of week have been sorted from Sunday to Saturday. See screenshot:
Note: if you want to sort the days of week from Monday to Sunday, you just need to enter your data list into the Custom Lists box by clicking NEW LIST, then click Add button to add it to the Custom lists section, and choose this new list and click OK.