How to convert letter to number or vice versa in Excel?
If you have a list of letters of an alphabet, and now you want to convert these letters to their relative numbers, such as A=1, B=2, C=3… And in other cases, you need to reverse this option to change the numbers to their associated letters. Have you ever tried to solve this task in Excel worksheet?
Convert letter to number with formula
To convert the letters to relative numbers, you can use the following formula:
1. In a blank cell besides your data, for example, cell D2, please enter below formula, and press Enter key.
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and the letters have been converted to their relative numbers as below screenshot shown:
Easily convert multiple numbers to currency words in bulk in Excel
It’s easy to manually convert the currency $357.6 to the currency word of three hundred fifty-seven dollars and sixty cents. But how about converting hundreds of numbers to currency words. Use the amazing Numbers to Currency Words feature of Kutools of Excel, and batch convert numbers to currency words easily in Excel. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
Convert number to letter with formula
If you want to convert the integer numbers which are in the range of 1 to 26 to the corresponding letters, the following formula can do you a favor.
1. In a blank cell besides your data, for example, cell D3, please enter below formula, and press the Enter key.
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula, and the numbers have been converted to their relative letters as you need. See screenshot:
(1) If the number is greater than 26, the formula will return empty;
(2) If the number is less than 1, the formula will return #VALUE! error value;
(3) If the number is a decimal number, the formula will trim number to a whole number and then calculate.
Convert number to currency text with an amazing tool
If have installed Kutools for Excel, you can use its Numbers to Currency Words feature to convert all selected numbers to currency words in bulk in Excel.
Kutools for Excel- Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 60-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
1. Select the numbers you will convert to currency word, and click Kutools > Content > Numbers to Currency Words.
2. In the Numbers to Currency Words dialog, please check English or Chinese option as you need, and click the Ok button.
Now you will see all selected numbers are converted to currency words in bulk. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!