How to create a Macro-enabled template in Excel?
Supposing you add a VBA macro for a workbook, now you want to save it as a template. With normally method to save as template, it will pop up a warning dialog box, see screen shot below. Actually, we can easily save this workbook as a Macro-enabled template.
- Save current workbook as a macro-enabled template
- Change the default save format as macro-enable templates
- Save selection as mini template (AutoText entry, remaining cell formats and formulas) for reusing in future
To save a workbook with VBA macro as template, you can do as following:
1. Click the File > Save > Computer > Browse.
2. In the coming Save As dialog box, enter a name for this workbook in the File name box, and click the Save as type box and select Excel Macro-Enabled Template (*.xltm) from drop down list.
Note: When you specify workbook type as Excel Macro-Enabled Template (*.xltm), it will open the default save location of templates automatically.
3. Click the Save button.
Up to present, you have saved the workbook with VBA macros as a macro-enabled template already.
Actually, we can change the default save format and save all workbooks as macro-enable templates automatically. Please do as follows:
1. Click File > Options.
2. In the opening Excel Options dialog box, please click Save in the left bar, choose Excel Macro-Enable Template (*.xltm) from the Save files in this format drop down list in the Save workbooks section. See screenshot:
3. Click the OK button.
From now all, any workbook will be saved as macro-enabled template automatically when you clicking File > Save.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!