How to make a read-only template in Excel?
Sometimes we may make an Excel template for others applying easily, but do not want them to change the template files. A read-only Excel template can help you prevent others modifying template files, but doesn’t affect applying. In this article, I will show you the method to make a read-only template in Excel.
Make a read-only template in Excel
Here I will guide you to configure the save options when saving a workbook as a template, and make the Excel template read-only.
Step 1: Prepare your workbook which you will save as a read-only Excel template.
Step 2: Click the File > Save > Computer > Browse in Excel 2013, or click the File/Office button > Save in Excel 2007 and 2010.
Step 3: In the coming Save As dialog box,
(1) Enter a name for this workbook in the File name box;
(2) Click the Save as type box and select Excel Template (*.xltx) from drop down list;
(3) Click the Tools > General Options. See screen shot below:
Step 4: In the General Options dialog box, only check the option of Read-only recommended, and click the OK button.
Step 5: Click the Save button in the Save As dialog box.
Now the workbook is saved as a read-only Excel template. Users can apply this template with clicking File > New > Personal (or My Templates)> read-only template (or other file name you specified in Step 3) without any effects, but it will pop up a warning dialog box when users open the template by File > Open and try to modify it.
Note: Although we can make a workbook read-only with clicking the Review > Protect Sheet and specify a password, for an Excel template this method will affect users applying and editing normally.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!