How to make all negative numbers in red in Excel?
For multiple negative percentage or numbers in your Excel worksheet, it is hard to find them out immediately when you browsing the worksheet. Actually, you can mark all negative percentage or numbers in red by custom formatting the selected cells, or conditional formatting them all at once. With these two methods, the negative percentage or numbers will be highlighted and outstanding in current worksheet. Please do as follows.
You can create a custom format to quickly format all negative percentage in red in Excel.
1. Select the cells which have the negative percentage you want to mark in red.
2. Right click the selected cells and select Format Cells in the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, you need to:
1). Go to the Number tab;
2). Click Custom in the Category box;
3). Copy and paste 0.00%;[Red]-0.00% into the Type box;
4). Click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all negative percentages in the selected cells are marked in red immediately.
Select all negative numbers in selected range:
Besides the custom format function, you can also format all negative percentages with creating a conditional formatting rule. Please do as follows.
1. Select the cell range with negative percentage in current worksheet.
2. Click Conditional Formatting > New Rule under Home tab.
3. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, please do as follows step by step.
1). Select Format only cells that contain in the Select a Rule Type box;
2). In the Format only cells with section, please select Cell Value > less than from the drop-down boxes orderly, and then type number 0 into the last box;
3). Click the Format button. See screenshot:
4. In the Format Cells dialog box, specify your desire format. In this case, I choose the red color and bold font for the negative percentage. Then click the OK button.
5. Now it returns to the New Formatting Rule dialog box, please click the OK button to finish the rule creating.
Then all negative percentages in the selected range are formatted with the format you specified above.
Note: With this method, all the negative numbers will be formatted as well if your selected range contains the negative numbers.
The Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel helps you to select all cell with negative numbers at once, and then you can format all of them in red manually. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range with the negative number you want to make in red, then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select Cell in the Selection type section, and then select Less than from the Specific type drop-down list, enter number 0 into the box, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Then a dialog box pops up to show you how many cells will be selected, please click the OK button.
4. Now all negative number cells are selected, you can make them in red manually. See screenshot:
- How to conditional format cells based on first letter/character in Excel?
- How to conditional format cells if containing #na in Excel?
- How to conditional format or highlight first recurrence in Excel?
- How to conditional format dates less than/greater than today in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!