How to conditional format cells based on first letter/character in Excel?
With the conditional formatting function, you can highlight all cells based on first letters in a list of data in Excel. For example, you can highlight all cells which the first letters are A among the data. This tutorial aims to help you conditional formatting cells based on first letter in Excel.
For example, you have a list of data in range A2:A8 as below screenshot shown. If you want to highlight all cells which the first letters are A in the list, please do as follows.
1. Select the range A2:A8.
2. Then click Conditional Formatting > New Rule under Home tab to create a new conditional formatting rule. See screenshot:
3. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, please do as follows step by step.
4. Then it gets into the Format Cells dialog box, please specify your cell format and click the OK button.
5. Finally click the OK button when it returns to the New Formatting Rule dialog box.
Then all cell values which begin with the letter A are added the conditional formatting you specified. See screenshot:
- How to conditional format cells if containing #na in Excel?
- How to conditional format dates less than/greater than today in Excel?
- How to conditional format or highlight first recurrence in Excel?
- How to conditional format negative percentage in red in Excel?
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months agoOr...just do conditional formatting with the "text that contains" option.Home > Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > Text that contains
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoIf one alphabet is repeated continue 9 time 10th one it's should show warning or indication .
Example in A1 cell to A9 cell "P" is repeated if I tried to write is A10 cell P meas it's should show a warning or indication .
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agohi,
in excel one column contains some cells have numbers and some cells have names. i want to highlight in whole column greater than 200 numbers.
i tried by using conditional formating but names also highlited .please slove.