How to count if cells contain any date/data in Excel?
Have you even met problems to count number of cells containing any date or data in a specific range in Excel? In this article, I will introduce ways to count if cells contain any date/data in Excel.
Count if cells contain any date in Excel
This method will introduce a VBA Macro to count cells containing dates in a specific range in Excel.
Step 1: Open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window with pressing the Alt + F11 keys at the same time.
Step 2: Click the Insert > Module, and then paste the following VBA code into the Module window:
VBA: Count if cells contain any date
Function TypeCell(pRange As Range) As Variant
Dim xArr() As Variant
Dim xRng As Range
ReDim xArr(pRange.Cells.Count - 1) As Variant
xCount = 0
For Each xRng In pRange
xArr(xCount) = VarType(xRng)
xCount = xCount + 1
TypeCell = xArr
Step 3: In a blank cell enter the formula =SUM(IF(TypeCell(A1:E15)=7,1,0)), and then press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys in a meantime.
Note: In the formula of =SUM(IF(TypeCell(A1:E15)=7,1,0)), the A1:E15 is the specific range we will count number of cells containing dates, you can change it based on your needs.
Now you will get the number of cells containing dates in the specific range.
Easily select and count any date cells if dates are between two dates in Excel
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Select Special Cells utility to quickly select and count any date cells if dates are in a certain date range.
Count if cells contain any data with COUNTA function in Excel
The COUNTA function will help you figure out the number of cells with any data in a specific range in Excel easily.
In a blank cell enter the formula =COUNTA(A1:E15), and press the Enter key. In the formula, the range A1:E15 is the specific range you will count numbers of cells with data, and you can change it as you need.
Note: After selecting the specific range, we can get the cell number with any data in the Status Bar easily too.
Count and select cells if contains any data in a specified range
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Select Nonblank Cells utility to count and select cells if contains any data quickly in a certain range with only one click.
Select the range you will count cells if contain any data, and click Kutools
> Select Nonblank Cells
. See screenshot:
And then all cells with data in the specified range are selected, and a dialog box will pop up and show how many nonblank cells have been selected. See screenshot:
Click the OK button to close this dialog box.
Demo: Count and select cells if contains any data in a specified range
Kutools for Excel
includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel, free to try without limitation in 30 days. Download and Free Trial Now
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365
. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!