How to calculate average rate of change in Excel?
If you know the average speed when you ride a bike, you can calculate how much time you will spend approximately from a place to other by bike. For example you have recorded the time and distance during one bicycle travel as following screen shot shown, you can calculate the average bicycle speed (the average rate of change) in Excel easily.
Calculate average rate of change in Excel
Calculate average rate of change in Excel
To calculate the average rate of change (the average bicycle speed) in Excel, you can easily do as follows:
1. Select the blank cell besides the cell with last distance, in our case select Cell C7, enter the formula =(B7-B2)/((A7-A2)*24) into it and then press the Enter key.
2. Right click the cell you entered the formula just now, and select the Format Cells from the right-clicking menu.
3. Now in the Format Cells dialog box, go to the Number tab, and:
(1) Click the Number in the Category box;
(2) In the Decimal places box, enter the number of decimal places you want to format for the average speed.
(3) Click the OK button.
Now you have calculate the average bicycle speed (average rate of change) and format it in Excel.
Note: Apart from the Format Cells command in the right-clicking menu, you can also format the average bicycle speed with selecting it and clicking the Increase Decimal button or Decrease Decimal button on the Home tab.
Tip: Save a range as AutoText entry (remaining cell formats and formulas) for reusing in future
It must be very tedious to refer cells and apply formulas for calculating the averages every time. Kutools for Excel provides a cute workaround of AutoText utility to to save the range as an AutoText entry, which can remain the cell formats and formulas in the range. And then you can reuse this range with just one click in any workbook. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Copy formulas exactly/ statically without changing cell references in Excel
Kutools for Excel Exact Copy utility can help you easily copy multiple formulas exactly without changing cell references in Excel, preventing relative cell references updating automatically. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
Demo: Calculate average rate of change in Excel
Kutools for Excel
includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel, free to try without limitation in 30 days. Download and Free Trial Now
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!