How to lookup a value and return cell address in Excel?
In general, you will get the cell value when you use formula to look up a value in Excel. But here I will introduce some formulas to lookup a value and return the relative cell address.
To lookup a value and return corresponding cell address instead of cell value in Excel, you can use the below formulas.
Formula 1 To return the cell absolute reference
For example, you have a range of data as below screenshot shown, and you want to lookup product AA and return the relative cell absolute reference.
1. Select a cell and type AA into it, here I type AA into cell A26. See screenshot:
2. Then type this formula =CELL("address",INDEX($A$18:$A$24,MATCH(A26,$A$18:$A$24,1))) in the cell adjacent to cell A26 (the cell you typed AA), then press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys and you will get the relative cell reference. See screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A18:A24 is the column range that your lookup value is in, A26 is the lookup value.
2. This formula only can find the first relative cell address which matches the lookup value.
Formula 2 To return the row number of the cell value in the table
For instance, you have data as below screenshot shown, you want to lookup product BB and return all of its cell addresses in the table.
1. Type BB into a cell, here I type BB into cell A10. See screenshot:
2. In the cell adjacent to the cell A10 (the cell you typed BB), type this formula =SMALL(IF($A$10=$A$2:$A$8, ROW($A$2:$A$8)-ROW($A$2)+1), ROW(1:1)), and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys, then drag the auto fill handle down to apply this formula until appears #NUM!. see screenshot:
3. Then you can delete #NUM!. See screenshot:
1. In this formula, A10 indicates the lookup value, and A2: A8 is the column range that your lookup value is in.
2. With this formula, you only can get the row numbers of the relative cells in the table except table header.
Batch Convert formula reference to absolute, relative, column absolute or Row Absolute
|Sometimes, you may want to convert the formula reference to absolute, but in Excel, the shortcuts only can convert the references one by one whihc may waste time while there are hundreds of formulas. The Convert Reference of Kutools for Excel can batch convert the references in select cells to relative, absolute as you need. Click for full-featured 30 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
- VLOOKUP and return multiple values horizontally
- VLOOKUP and return smallest value
- VLOOKUP and return zero instead of #N/A
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!