How to VLOOKUP the lowest value and return adjacent cell in Excel?
If you have a range of data, and you want to find the lowest value in the column A, and then return its adjacent cell in column B as below screenshot shown, how could you solve it quickly instead of finding it one by one? The VLOOKUP function is very powerful to solve this problem easily, and now I will talk about using VLOOKUP to find the lowest value and return adjacent cell in Excel.VLOOKUP the lowest value and return adjacent cellINDEX the lowest value and return adjacent cell
VLOOKUP the lowest value and return adjacent cell
Here I tell you a VLOOKUP formula to find the lowest value and return the adjacent cell.
Select a cell you want to put the result, and type this formula =VLOOKUP(MIN($A$2:$A$8), $A$2:$B$8, 2, 0), then press Enter key, and then you will get the adjacent cell to the lowest value.
1. A2: A8 is the range that you want to find the lowest value, A2: B8 is the range of the data.
2. With VLOOKUP function, you only can return the adjacent cell in the right column.
3. If the lowest values are duplicate in the column you want to find for lowest values, this formula will return the adjacent cell of first lowest value.
INDEX the lowest value and return adjacent cell
To find the lowest value and return adjacent cell with VLOOKUP has some limitations, now I introduce INDEX function to solve this problem.
Select a cell you want to get the adjacent cell to the lowest value, and type this formula =INDEX(A2:A8,MATCH(MIN(B2:B8),B2:B8,0)), then press Enter key. See screenshot:
1. A2: A8 is the range that including the cell you want to return, B2: B8 is the range including the lowest value you want to find.
2. This formula can return the adjacent cell in right or left column.
3. This formula will return the adjacent cell of first lowest value, if lowest values are duplicate in the specific column.
If you want to use VLOOKUP to find the highest value and return the adjacent cell, go to this article for more detail How to find the highest value and return adjacent cell value in Excel?
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!