How to add best fit line/curve and formula in Excel?
For example, you have been researching in the relationship between product units and total cost, and after many experiments you get some data. Therefore, the problem at present is to get the best fit curve for the data, and figure out its equation. Actually, we can add the best fit line/curve and formula in Excel easily.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Supposing you have recorded the experiments data as left screenshot shown, and to add best fit line or curve and figure out its equation (formula) for a series of experiment data in Excel 2013, you can do as follows:
1. Select the experiment data in Excel. In our case, please select the Range A1:B19.
2. Click the Insert Scatter (X, Y) or Bubble Chart > Scatter on the Insert tab. See screen shot:
3. Select the scatter chart, and then click the Add Chart Element > Trendline > More Trendline Options on the Design tab.
4. In the opening Format Trendline pane, check the Polynomial option, and adjust the order number in the Trendline Options section, and then check the Display Equation on Chart option. See below screen shot:
Then you will get the best fit line or curve as well as its equation in the scatter chart as above screen shot shown:
There are a few differences to add best fit line or curve and equation between Excel 2007/2010 and 2013.
1. Select the original experiment data in Excel, and then click the Scatter > Scatter on the Insert tab.
2. Select the new added scatter chart, and then click the Trendline > More Trendline Options on the Layout tab. See above screen shot:
3. In the coming Format Trendline dialog box, check the Polynomial option, specify an order number based on your experiment data, and check the Display Equation on chart option. See screenshot:
4. Click the Close button to close this dialog box.
Excel Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoThis page is completely wrong
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoFor one material I want to draw a line from starting date which can run few days and will repeat for full month. is it possible in excel to do the same without manual intervention ?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoIs it possible to increase the equation's coefficients' number of decimals shown on the graph by the "Display Equation" option?
Is it also possible to export the values of those coefficients to selected cells in the spreadsheet?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agotell me how to fit a curve where multiple series of data is there ???
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoits me bibek form darjeeling i will do work on graph but i do not know how do best fit curve ling in excel graph ... plz can be explain....