How to fill blank cells with dash in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of data which contains some blank cells, and now, you want to fill each of these blank cells with the dash symbol as following screenshots shown, do you have any good ideas to fill the blank cells with dashes at once in Excel?
If you are familiar with the Go To Special feature of Excel, you can select all blank cells first, and then fill them with dashes at once. Please do as follows:
1. Select the range that you need to fill the blanks with dashes.
2. Then click Home > Find & Select > Go To Special, in the Go To Special dialog box, check Blanks option, see screenshots:
3. Then click OK, and all blank cells have been selected as following screenshot shown:
4. And then enter the dash – into the cell and press Ctrl + Enter keys together, all the blank cells have been filled with dashes at the meanwhile, see screenshot:
In Excel, the Find and Replace function also can do you a favor.
1. Select the data range that you want to use, and press Ctrl + H keys to open the Find and Replace dialog box, see screenshot:
2. In the Find and Replace dialog, in the Find what text box, nothing to enter and leave it blank, in the Replace with text box, type the dash character, see screenshot:
3. And then click Replace All button to replace the blanks with dashes, then a dialog mentions you that how many cells have been replaced. see screenshot:
4. Then click OK and close the Find and Replace dialog.
The following VBA code also can help you to fill blank cells with dashes.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Fill blank cells with dashes
Sub ChangeBlank() 'Update by Extendoffice Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng If Rng.Value = "" Then Rng.Value = "-" End If Rng.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to select the data range that you want to use, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, all the blank cells are filled with the dashes immediately.
If you have Kutools for Excel, the Fill Blank Cells can help you fill the blank cells based on the values above or below, fill the values linearly, and fill blanks with a specific value.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range that you want to fill the blanks with dashes.
2. Click Kutools > Insert > Fill Blank Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Fill Blank Cells dialog, select Fixed value under Fillwith section, and enter the dash (-) into the Filled value text box, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK or Apply, all blank cells have been filled with the dashes in the selection.
With this Fill Blank Cells tools, you can also do the following tasks: