How to generate lottery numbers in excel?
Have you ever thought of generating lottery numbers in Excel, or make a lottery number generator in Excel by yourself? In this article, I provide three methods for you to get it done easily.
- Generate lottery numbers with Excel Functions (5 steps)
- Generate lottery numbers with VBA Macro
- Generate lottery numbers with Kutools for Excel (2 steps)
This method will walk you through applying several Excel functions to generate lottery numbers. And you can do as follows:
1. In a blank worksheet, type column headers in Range A1:C1 as below screen shot shown:
2. Enter formulas in Column A, Column B, and Column C:
(1) In Cell A2, enter the formula =RAND(), and then drag the Fill handle to the range A2:A50.
(2) In Cell B2, enter the formula =RANK($A2,$A$2:$A$50)+COUNTIF(B$1:B1,B1)-1, and then drag the Fill Handle to the Range B2:B50. (In the formula, A2 is the random number left to current cell, $A$2:$A$50 are all random numbers we got with the first formula, B$1 is the first cell in Column B, and B1 is the cell above current cell).
(3) In Range C2:C50, enter sequence numbers from 1 to 49.
Then you will get a table as left screen shot shown:
3. Find a blank range, type sequence numbers horizontally in a row as below screen shot shown:
4. Below the first sequence number of 1, enter the formula =VLOOKUP(G1,$B$1:$C$50,2,FALSE) into it, and the drag the Fill Handle to the Range you need.
Note: In this formula, G1 is the cell with the first sequence number of 1, $B$1:$C$50 are Unique Rank column and Ball Number column, 2 means find values in the second column of Range $B$1:$C$50.
Then you will get the lottery numbers as below screen shot shown:
5. It's optional. To prevent the lottery numbers from changing automatically when current worksheet refreshes, you can click the Formula > Calculation Options > Manual.
This method will guide you to apply a VBA macro to generate lottery numbers in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module to open a new module window, and paste following VBA code into it:
VBA: Lottery Number Generator in Excel
Sub LotteyCode() Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim xNumbers(49) As Integer On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Set WorkRng = WorkRng.Range("A1") For xIndex = 1 To 49 xNumbers(xIndex) = xIndex Next For xIndex = 1 To 6 xNum = 1 + Application.Round(Rnd * (49 - xIndex), 0) WorkRng.Offset(0, xIndex - 1).Value = xNumbers(xNum) xNumbers(xNum) = xNumbers(50 - xIndex) Next End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA macro.
4. Now in the popping up dialog box, specify a cell to output the lottery numbers, and click the OK button.
Then you will see 6 unique lottery numbers are generated and displayed in the specified cells.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Insert Random Data utility can help you generate lottery numbers in Excel at once.
1. Select 6 adjacent cells, such as A1:F1, and then click the Kutools > Insert > Insert Random Data.
2. Now the Insert Random Data dialog box comes out. Go to the Integer tab, type 1 in From box, type 49 in To box, check the Unique values option, and click the OK button. Now you will see 6 unique lottery numbers are generated and displayed in the selected cells immediately.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!