How to randomly add background/fill color for cells in Excel?
Let’s say you need to randomly add background or fill color for cells in the specified range, how to solve it? In this article, two methods are provided to get it done easily.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2021 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The following VBA macro code can help you to add background or fill color for each cell in a specific range with random colors. You can do as follows:
Step 1: Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Step 2: Click Insert > Module, and then paste following VBA code into the opening Module window.
VBA: Add background or fill color for cells with random color
Sub TrimExcessSpaces() Dim rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim xRed As Byte Dim xGreen As Byte Dim xBule As Byte On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each rng In WorkRng xRed = Application.WorksheetFunction.RandBetween(0, 255) xGreen = Application.WorksheetFunction.RandBetween(0, 255) xBule = Application.WorksheetFunction.RandBetween(0, 255) rng.Pattern = xlSolid rng.PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic rng.Interior.Color = VBA.RGB(xRed, xGreen, xBule) Next End Sub
Step 3: Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA macro.
Step 4: Now a dialog box comes out, just select the range you want to add background with random colors, and then click the OK button.
Now you will see all cells in the specified range are filled with different colors randomly. See below screen shot:
In some cases, you may need to add background color to randomly selected cells in a specified range. To get it done, you can try Kutools for Excel’s Sort Range Randomly utility, and then add background color for these random cells.
Step 1: Select the range where you want to find cells randomly and add background color.
Step 2: Click the Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly.
Step 3: In the opening Sort Range Randomly dialog box, go to Select tab, type a number in the No. of cell(s) to select box, check Select random cells option, and click the OK button. See below screen shot:
Step 4: Now specified number of cells are randomly selected in the specified range. Then click the arrow besides the Fill Color button on the Home tab, and select a background color from the drop down list.
Now you will see the background color is added to the randomly selected cells as below screen shot shown: