How to switch to/toggle read only mode in Excel?
Sometimes, for preventing readers from changing active workbook by accident, you may want to switch the workbook to read only mode. This article will show you the detailed steps to switch to or toggle active workbook between read only mode and editing mode in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The Toggle Read Only feature can help Excel users easily switch active workbook between editing mode and read only mode. However, this feature does not show in Ribbon. This method will guide you to show the Toggle Read Only button in the Quick Access Toolbar easily.
1. Click the Arrowin the Quick Access Toolbar, and select the More Commands from the drop down list. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Excel Options dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Select the Commands Not in the Ribbon from the Choose commands from drop down list;
(2) Click to highlight the Toggle Read Only in the commands list;
(3) Click the Add button.
3. Click the OK button to show this Toggle Read Only button in the Quick Access Toolbar. See screenshot:
4. Click the Toggle Read Only button for the first time, active workbook switches to read only mode; click the Toggle Read Only button once more, active workbook restores editing mode.
(1) If you have never saved active workbook before, this Toggle Read Only button is invalid.
(2) When switching to read only mode, the following dialog box will come out if you have changed active workbook but not saved.