How to count a character in an Excel cell or a range?
To count the number of a specific character in a single cell of a list may be easy when there only several cells. However, if there are dozens of cells in a list, how can you quickly count a specific character in each cell of the list in Excel?
Count times a word(count times of a specific word appears in a single cell or a range . There are dozens of usually used formulas in the Formula Helper.)
In Excel, you can use some formulas to solve this task.
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Click here to know Auto Text Click here to get free trial
Select a cell which you will output the result into, for instance, C2, enter this formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,B2,"")), and press Enter key to count, and then drag AutoFill handle over the cells needed the formula. See screenshots:
Note: in this formula, A2 is the cell you want to count the specified character from, and B2 is the character you want to count.
Tip: If you want to count the total number of a specific character in a range, you can use this formula =SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A2:A6)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2:A6,B2,""))), and A2:A2 is the range you want to count the specified character from, and B2 is the character you want to count.
If you are not familiar with formulas, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Count times a word appears function to quickly and easily count a specific character in a single cell or range.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a cell which you will output the result into, and click Kutools > Formulas > Count times a word appears. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog, click next to Text to select the cell you want to count from, and then click next to Word to select the character you want to count. See screenshot:
Tip: You also can type the character inclosed with “” directly into the Word textbox, such as this “n”.
3. Click Ok, and the character is counted. Then you can drag the auto fill handle of the cell over the cells you need.
Tip: If you want to count a specific character in a range, you just need to select a range in the Text box in the Formula Helper dialog.
- How to count the number of characters excluding spaces in Excel cell?
- How to count frequency of a text/number/character in Excel column?
- How to count if cells are start with or end with specific text in Excel?
- How to count if cells are nonblank and not equal to specific word in Excel?
- How to count and remove duplicates from a list in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...