How to count a character in an Excel cell or a range?
To count the number of a specific character in a single cell of a list may be easy when there only several cells. However, if there are dozens of cells in a list, how can you quickly count a specific character in each cell of the list in Excel?
In Excel, you can use some formulas to solve this task.
Select a cell which you will output the result into, for instance, C2, enter this formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,B2,"")), and press Enter key to count, and then drag AutoFill handle over the cells needed the formula. See screenshots:
Note: in this formula, A2 is the cell you want to count the specified character from, and B2 is the character you want to count.
Tip: If you want to count the total number of a specific character in a range, you can use this formula =SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A2:A6)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2:A6,B2,""))), and A2:A2 is the range you want to count the specified character from, and B2 is the character you want to count.
If you are not familiar with formulas, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Count times a word appears function to quickly and easily count a specific character in a single cell or range.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a cell which you will output the result into, and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Formula Helper. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog, choose Count the number of a word from Choose a formula section, then click next to Text to select the range you want to count from, and then click next to Word to select the character you want to count. See screenshot:
Tip: You also can type the character inclosed with “” directly into the Word textbox, such as this “n”.
3. Click Ok, and the character is counted. Then you can drag the auto fill handle of the cell over the cells you need.
Tip: If you want to count a specific character in each cell, you just need to select the first cell in the Text box in the Formula Helper dialog, then drag the fill handle over cells to fill the formula to get number of character in each cell.
- How to count the number of characters excluding spaces in Excel cell?
- How to count frequency of a text/number/character in Excel column?
- How to count if cells are start with or end with specific text in Excel?
- How to count if cells are nonblank and not equal to specific word in Excel?
- How to count and remove duplicates from a list in Excel?