In worksheet, if your cell contents are separated by commas, when you apply the Auto Filter utility, it only allows you to filter by the entire cell record as following screenshot shown. But, now, you want to filter the rows with one value within the comma separated data. This article will talk about how to filter a specific value in comma separated data.
Filter comma separated data in Excel with Custom Filter
The Auto Filter’s Custom Filter may help you to filter the specific value from the comma separated cells. For example, I want to filter the rows which column B contains the name “Tom”. Please do as follows:
1. Select the data column that you want to filter.
2. Then click Data > Filter, and an arrow button will display at the lower right corner of the first cell in the column, see screenshot:
3. Then click the arrow button, and select Text Filters > Custom Filter, see screenshot:
4. In the Custom AutoFilter dialog box, select contains from the drop down list, and enter the specific value that you want to filter out, see screenshot:
5. Then click OK button, and all the cells which contain the name “Tom” are filtered at once. See screenshot:
Filter comma separated data in Excel with Kutools for Excel
The Super Filter of Kutools for Excel also can help you to finish this task, with this powerful tool, you can quickly filter data by multiple criteria, filter data with case sensitive, filter data by text length, etc.…
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
1. Click Kutools Plus > Super Filter, see screenshot:
2. In the Super Filter pane, click button to select the data range that you want to filter, and then click the horizontal line to expand the criteria list box, see screenshot:
3. In the expanded criteria box, please select the column you want to filter cells based on and then select Text and Contain from the second and third criteria lists, next, enter the criteria that you want to use in the last box, see screenshot:
4. Then click Filter button, and your desired cells have been filtered out as following screenshot shown:
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.