How to countif partial string/substring match in Excel?
It’s easy to countif cells filled with certain strings, but do you know how to countif cells containing only partial string or substrings in Excel? This article will introduce a couple of methods to solve it quickly.
Countif partial string/substring match with formulas
We can add the asterisk before and after the certain partial string or substring, and then apply the COUNTIF function to count cells in Excel.
Select a blank cell you will place the counting result at, type the formula =COUNTIF(A1:A16,"*Anne*") (A1:A16 is the range you will count cells, and Anne is the certain partial string) into it, and press the Enter key.
And then it counts out the total number of cells containing the partial string. See screenshot:
Note: For counting cells containing both substrings, you can apply this formula =COUNTIFS(A1:A16,"*Anne*",A1:A16,"*Green*") (A1:A16 is the range you will count cells, both Anne and Green are the certain partial strings).
Countif partial string/substring match with Kutools for Excel
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, it will be much easier to count the number of cells containing partial strings or substrings in specified selection.
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 30-day, no credit card required! Free Trial Now!
1. Select the range where you will count cells if partial string/substring matched, and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See left screenshot:
2. In the opening Select Specific Cells dialog box, please:
(1) Check the Cell option in the Selection type section;
(2) Select Contains from the first drop down list in the Specific type section, and then type the certain partial string or substring into right box;
(3) Click the Ok button.
And then a dialog box pops out and shows how many cells contain the certain substring or substring. See screenshot:
You can close this dialog box with clicking the OK button. Meanwhile, all matched cells are selected immediately in the specified selection.
Note: For counting the number of cells containing two partial strings or substrings, you can specify the settings in the Select Specific Cells dialog box as below screenshot shown:
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
Demo: Countif partial string/substring match
Kutools for Excel
includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel, free to try without limitation in 30 days. Download and Free Trial Now
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!