How to add time with hours/minutes/seconds increments in Excel?
Supposing you are a stock investor, and you need to record the price variety of a certain stock every 20 minutes, what would you do to quickly create the time list with 20 minutes increments? This article shows you several methods to solve it in details.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
You can apply the following formulas to add time with hours/minutes/seconds increments in Excel.
1. Enter the start time into a blank cell (says A1), then select the following blank cells which you need to fill with increment time. Here I select A2:A15.
For adding time with 20 minutes increments:
Enter formula =A1+TIME(0,20,0) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Ctrl + Enter key simultaneously. You can see each cell time is added with 20 minutes increments and listed in selected range immediately.
For adding time with 20 seconds increments:
Please change the above formula to =A1+TIME(0,0,20), and then press the Ctrl + Enter keys at the same time. See screenshot:
For adding time with 1 hour increments:
Please change the formula to =A1+TIME(1,0,0), and then press the Ctrl + Enter keys at the same time. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula =A1+TIME(0,20,0), the first number in the bracket indicates hour, and the second number represents minute, and the last one is second. You can change them based on your time increments.
The Fill Handle can also help you to add time with hours/minutes/seconds increments in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Enter the start time and the first increment time in the first two cells, says A1 and A2. See screenshot:
2. Select cell A1 and A2, then drag the Fill Handle down until the needed increment times are filled in. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel gathers many frequently-used formulas. And its Add hours/minutes/seconds to date formulas help you quickly adding time with hours/minutes/second increments in Excel without remembering formulas.
1. Select a blank cell (A2) for placing the result, then click Kutools > Formula Helper > Add hours to date /Add minutes to date / Add seconds to date (here I select Add hours to date). See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog box, specify the time cell you need to add hour into the Date Time box, then enter the certain hour you will add into the Number box, and then click the OK button.
Then you can see the new time with 1 hour increment based on cell A1 is calculated out.
3. Keep selecting the result cell (A2), drag the Fill Handle down to get the other new increment times.
You can apply the Add minutes to date or Add seconds to date formula to create time list with minutes or seconds increments in Excel. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!