How to filter a worksheet based on a range of cells in another worksheet in Excel?
For two worksheets with same table style and some common data, you may need to filter one worksheet based on a specific column in another. This article provides method for you to solve this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
As below screenshot shown, Sheet1 and Sheet2 have their own table, and the first column A of these two tables have some duplicate values, now you need to filter Sheet1 based on the data in column A of Sheet2. Please do as follows.
1. Shift to Sheet2 and select the first column of the table, then name this selected range as ListID in the Name Box. See screenshot:
2. Go back to Sheet1, select a blank cell beside the original table, then enter formula =COUNTIF(ListID, A2) (Note: ListID is the range name you have created in step1, A2 is the cell within the column that you want to filter by) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
You can see there are number 1 and 0 displayed in the new helper column. Number 1 means that the same data also exists in the certain range in Sheet2, number 0 means the certain cell value does not exist in Sheet2.
3. Then filter the new helper column by number 1 as below screenshot shown.
Then data in Sheet1 is filtered out based on the certain range in Sheet2.