How to disable workbook save but only allow save as in Excel?
For keeping the original data to be changed of a workbook, you need to use the Save as function instead of the Save every time you updating the data of this workbook. But we are used to saving the workbook with pressing the Ctrl + S keys during the workbook editing. Is there any method to disable the Save feature but only allow the Save as in Excel? This article can help you.
You may interst in:
|Easily save worksheets as individual Txt, CSV or PDF file in Excel|
Click Kutools > Split Workbook. The Kutools for Excel's Split Workbook utility helps you easily split and save worksheets as individual txt, csv or pdf file in Excel. See below screenshot:
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
The following VBA code can help you to disable the Save function but only allow the Save as of a workbook.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click ThisWorkbook in the Project pane to open the ThisWorkbook (Code) window. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Only allow Save as in Excel
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) If Not SaveAsUI Then Cancel = True MsgBox "You cannot save this workbook. Use Save As", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If End Sub
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. As the workbook contains VBA script, when saving the workbook, you will get the following dialog box first. Please click the Yes button.
5. Now a dialog box pops up to tell you the Save function in this workbook is disabled, you need to use the Save as function to save the updated data of this workbook.
Please click the OK button and go ahead to save the workbook with the Save as function.
- How to disable or do not allow Save & Save As options in Excel?
- How to insert or display last saved timestamp on worksheet in Excel?
- How to save just one worksheet in a workbook in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoIt does indeed disable Save function but warns and then closes without saving, not letting the user to Save as after the warning
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.