How to disable workbook save but only allow save as in Excel?
For keeping the original data to be changed of a workbook, you need to use the Save as function instead of the Save every time you updating the data of this workbook. But we are used to saving the workbook with pressing the Ctrl + S keys during the workbook editing. Is there any method to disable the Save feature but only allow the Save as in Excel? This article can help you.
The following VBA code can help you to disable the Save function but only allow the Save as of a workbook.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click ThisWorkbook in the Project pane to open the ThisWorkbook (Code) window. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Only allow Save as in Excel
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) If Not SaveAsUI Then Cancel = True MsgBox "You cannot save this workbook. Use Save As", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If End Sub
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. As the workbook contains VBA script, when saving the workbook, you will get the following dialog box first. Please click the Yes button.
5. Now a dialog box pops up to tell you the Save function in this workbook is disabled, you need to use the Save as function to save the updated data of this workbook.
Please click the OK button and go ahead to save the workbook with the Save as function.
- How to disable or do not allow Save & Save As options in Excel?
- How to insert or display last saved timestamp on worksheet in Excel?
- How to save just one worksheet in a workbook in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!