How to prevent specific cell contents from being deleted in Excel?
This article is talking about preventing specific cell contents from being deleted in Excel. You can achieve it with the methods in this article.
By default, all cells in worksheet are locked. If you want to prevent specific cell contents from being deleted, and make other cells editable after protecting, please do as follows.
1. Click the button on the top left corner of worksheet to select the whole worksheet. Then press Ctrl + 1 keys to open the Format Cells dialog box.
2. In the popping up Format Cells dialog box, uncheck the Locked option under the Protection tab, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Select the cells you don’t want the contents to be deleted, press Ctrl + 1 keys to open the Format Cells dialog box again, check the Locked option under the Protection tab, and then click the OK button.
4. Now click Review > Protect Sheet, then specify and confirm your password in both the Protect Sheet and Confirm Password dialog boxes.
Now the worksheet is protected. And the specified cell contents won’t be deleted any more.
Besides the above two methods, you can run VBA code to prevent specific cell contents from being deleted in a worksheet. Please do as follows.
1. Open the worksheet which contains the cell contents you don’t want to be deleted, right click the Sheet Tab, and then click View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. Copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window of the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
VBA code: Prevent specific cell contents from being deleted in Excel
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Intersect(Target, Range("A1:E7")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ExitPoint Application.EnableEvents = False If Not IsDate(Target(1)) Then Application.Undo MsgBox " You can't delete cell contents from this range " _ , vbCritical, "Kutools for Excel" End If ExitPoint: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub
Note: In the code, A1:E17 is the range which the cell contents you will prevent from being deleted. You can change the range based on your needs.
From now on, when you trying to delete cell contents from range A1:E17, you will get a Kutools for Excel dialog box as below screenshot shown, please click the OK button.
- How to prevent a certain worksheet from being deleted in Excel?
- How to prevent selection of multiple worksheets in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!