How to remove all instances of a character in Excel range?
Have you ever tried to remove all instance of a character in a range or the whole sheet in Excel? Do you still remove this specific character one by one manually? In this tutorial, I introduce some tricks on quickly removing all instances of a specific character in Excel.
In Excel, the Find and Replace function can quickly find a character and replace it with blank or other contents in a selection or the whole sheet.
1. Select the range you need and press Ctrl + H to enable the Find and Replace dialog, and type the character you want to remove into the Find what textbox, leave nothing in the Replace with dialog. See screenshot:
2. Click Replace All, a dialog pops out to remind you the characters have been removing. See screenshot:
3. Click OK > Close. Then all instances of “A” have been removed from the selection.
Actually, with Kutools for Excel’s Remove Characters utility, you can more quickly and easily remove all instance of one specific character.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the range you need to work, and click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Remove Characters dialog, check Custom option, and type the character you want to remove into the textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, all the instance of the character has been removed in the selection.
Tip: with this utility, you can remove non-numeric characters, or non-alpha characters and so on.
- How to remove first/last n characters from a cell/string in Excel?
- How to remove text within brackets/parentheses in Excel?
- How to remove certain/specific character from cell in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!