How to create a floating column chart in Excel?
A floating column chart is usually used to display the minimum and maximum value of data. Thus, the series of the chart does not connect to an axis but above the axis which views as floating. In this article, I introduce how to create a general floating column chart.
Create a floating column chart
Create a floating column chart
Supposing the data is shown as below screenshot, now we create the floating column chart step by step.
1. In the next column of the data, column D, we need to calculate the difference between the highest and lowest values in each row. Type this formula =B2-C2 to the Cell D2, and drag the fill handle down to the cells needed this formula.
2. Hold Ctrl key to select the data column, the lowest value column, and the difference value column, and then click Insert > Insert Column or Bar Chart > Stacked Column. See screenshot:
3. Click at the lowest series in the chart to display the Format tab. See screenshot:
4. Under Format tab, click No Fill in Shape Fill list, and No Outlines in Shape Outline list. See screenshot:
Then the floating column chart has been created successfully.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!