How to format mac addresses in cells by adding colon symbol in Excel?
Supposing you received a worksheet contains a list of numbers, and now you need to format all these numbers as mac addresses by adding colon symbol as below screenshot shown. What can you do to achieve it? You can try the method in this tutorial to solve the problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The below formula can help you format number as mac address by adding a colon. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =LEFT(A2,2)&":"&MID(A2,3,2)&":"&MID(A2,5,2)&":"&MID(A2,7,2)&":"&MID(A2,9,2)&":"&RIGHT(A2,2) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, A2 is the cell contains the number you will format as mac format.
2. Select the first result cell, drag the Fill Handle down to get all mac format numbers. See screenshot:
With below VBA code, you can format a range of numbers as mac addresses at once in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VBA code into the code window.
VBA code: Format numbers as mac addresses in cells
Sub FormatMAC() Dim I As Long Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xVal As String Dim xStr As String On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select range：", "Kutools for Excel", Selection.Address, , , , , 8) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each xCell In xRg xVal = xCell.Value If InStr(xVal, ":") > 0 Then xVal = Replace(xVal, ":", "") If Left(xVal, 1) = "0" Then xVal = Right(xVal, Len(xVal) - 1) End If For I = 1 To Int(Len(xVal) / 2) xStr = Mid(xVal, Len(xVal) + 1 - 2 * I, 2) & " " & xStr Next xStr = "0" & Mid(xVal, 1, 1) & " " & xStr xCell.Value = Left(Replace(xStr, " ", ":"), Len(xStr) - 1) xStr = "" Next End Sub
3. In the opening Kutools for Excel dialog box, please select the cells with numbers you will format as mac addresses, and then click the OK button.
Then you can see all selected numbers are formatted as mac addresses as below screenshot shown.
This section will introduce the Add Text utility of Kutoos for Excel. With this utility, you can quickly add colons to cells at specified positions. Please do as follows.
1. Select the cells you need to format as mac addresses. And then click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. In the Add Text dialog box, please type a colon into the Text box, select the Specify option, and then enter the specified position numbers into the box. And finally click the OK button.
Note: In this case, I need to add colons after every two numbers in cells, so I enter 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 and separate them by commas. See screenshot:
- How to add text in middle of selected cells in Excel?
- How to add comma at end of cell/text in Excel?
- How to add a character before each word in a cell in Excel?