How to format mac addresses in cells by adding colon symbol in Excel?
Supposing you received a worksheet contains a list of numbers, and now you need to format all these numbers as mac addresses by adding colon symbol as below screenshot shown. What can you do to achieve it? You can try the method in this tutorial to solve the problem.
The below formula can help you format number as mac address by adding a colon. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, A2 is the cell contains the number you will format as mac format.
2. Select the first result cell, drag the Fill Handle down to get all mac format numbers. See screenshot:
Easily format mac address in cells by adding colons:
The Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel can help you easily add colons to specified positions of a selected cell to format the number as mac address format. See screenshot: Download and try it now! ( 30-day free trail)
With below VBA code, you can format a range of numbers as mac addresses at once in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VBA code into the code window.
VBA code: Format numbers as mac addresses in cells
Sub FormatMAC() Dim I As Long Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xVal As String Dim xStr As String On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select range：", "Kutools for Excel", Selection.Address, , , , , 8) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each xCell In xRg xVal = xCell.Value If InStr(xVal, ":") > 0 Then xVal = Replace(xVal, ":", "") If Left(xVal, 1) = "0" Then xVal = Right(xVal, Len(xVal) - 1) End If For I = 1 To Int(Len(xVal) / 2) xStr = Mid(xVal, Len(xVal) + 1 - 2 * I, 2) & " " & xStr Next xStr = "0" & Mid(xVal, 1, 1) & " " & xStr xCell.Value = Left(Replace(xStr, " ", ":"), Len(xStr) - 1) xStr = "" Next End Sub
3. In the opening Kutools for Excel dialog box, please select the cells with numbers you will format as mac addresses, and then click the OK button.
Then you can see all selected numbers are formatted as mac addresses as below screenshot shown.
This section will introduce the Add Text utility of Kutoos for Excel. With this utility, you can quickly add colons to cells at specified positions. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the cells you need to format as mac addresses. And then click Kutools > Text > Add Text.
2. In the Add Text dialog box, please type a colon into the Text box, select the Specify option, and then enter the specified position numbers into the box. And finally click the OK button.
Note: In this case, I need to add colons after every two numbers in cells, so I enter 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 and separate them by commas. See screenshot:
- How to add text in middle of selected cells in Excel?
- How to add comma at end of cell/text in Excel?
- How to add a character before each word in a cell in Excel?
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoYou can Format Mac Addresses using stringlearner.com. Much easier.