How to vlookup and return date format instead of number in Excel?
The vlookup function is used frequently in Excel for daily work. For example, you are trying to find a date based on the max value in a specified column with the Vlookup formula =VLOOKUP(MAX(C2:C8), C2:D8, 2, FALSE). However, you may notice that the date is displayed as a serial number instead of date format as below screenshot showed. Except for manually changing the cell formatting to date format, is there any handy way to handle it? This article will show you an easy way to solve this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you want to get the date based on the max value in a certain column with the Vlookup function, and keep the date format in the destination cell. Please do as follows.
1. Please enter this formula: =TEXT(VLOOKUP(MAX(C2:C8), C2:D8, 2, FALSE),"MM/DD/YY") into a cell and press Enter key to get the correct result. See screenshot:
Note: Please enclose the vlookup formula with TEXT() function. And don’t forget to specify the date format with double quotes at the end of the formula.
- How to copy source formatting of the lookup cell when using Vlookup in Excel?
- How to vlookup and return background color along with the lookup value in Excel?
- How to use vlookup and sum in Excel?
- How to vlookup return value in adjacent or next cell in Excel?
- How to vlookup value and return true or false / yes or no in Excel?
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agomy date changes to a different year. my formula is =TEXT(VLOOKUP(D4,'payment list (2)'!$B$3:$I$694,7,0),"dd/mm/yyyy")
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoi need a date with help of vlookup but date entry was 2 and 3 and more. I need last one date when order completed kindly help
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoMy Formula =TEXT(VLOOKUP(A2,I2:I931,2,FALSE),"MM/DD/YY") gives me the #REF! error. Any advice?