How to start row numbering at 0 instead of 1 in Excel?
As you know, the row heading starts at 1 by default in Excel, and users are not allowed to change the starting number of the row heading at all. But in some cases, you may enter your data header in the first row, and want to number the rows skipping the data header. Any idea? This article shares a roundabout workaround to solve the problem.
This method will guide you to force the row heading to start at 0 instead of 1 in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Create a new worksheet in your workbook.
2. In the new worksheet, select the Cell A2, enter the formula =ROW()-2, and drag the AutoFill handle down as many cells as possible.
3. In Cell B1, enter the formula =SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,(COLUMN()-1),4),1,""), and drag the AutoFill handle right as many cells as possible.
4. Select the entire Column A, and format it similar as row heading:
(1) Narrow the column width by clicking Home > Format > Column Width, enter the column width and click the OK button.;
(2) Add Fill color for the column A by clicking Home > Fill Color > Gray-25%, Background 2 (or Light Gray, Background 2, Darker 10%);
(3) Center the cell content by clicking Home > Center (in the Alignment group);
(4) Add borders by clicking Home > Border > All Borders.
5. Select the entire Row 1, and format it similar as column heading:
(1) Fill the column A by clicking Home > Fill Color > Gray-25%, Background 2(or Light Gray, Background 2, Darker 10%);
(2) Center the cell content by clicking Home > Center (in the Alignment group);
(3) Add borders by clicking Home > Border > All Borders.
Now you get a worksheet as below screenshot shown:
6. Now hide the default headings by unticking the Headings option under View tab.
7. Now select the first blank cell below the dummy headings, and click View > Freeze Panes > freeze Panes.
This step will prevent the dummy headings from scrolling when you scroll down or right in the worksheet.
So far, you have created a worksheet whose row heading starts at 0 instead of 1. See screenshot:
(1) The cells in the dummy headings are selectable and editable. You can protect the dummy headings range only in the worksheet. Click to know How to lock and protect selected cells in Excel.
(2) When you refer cells in formulas, the cell addresses will not match with the dummy row numbers or column letters.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!