How to split a workbook to separate Excel files in Excel?
You may need to split a large workbook to separate Excel files with saving each worksheet of the workbook as an individual Excel file. For example, you can split a workbook into multiple individual Excel files and then deliver each file to different person to handle it. By doing so, you can get certain persons handle specific data, and keep your data safe. This article will introduce ways to split a large workbook to separate Excel files based on each worksheet.
Recommended Productivity Tools
In usual, using Copy command and Paste command can save a workbook as a Separate Excel file manually. Firstly, select the whole worksheet that you want to save as a separate file, create a new workbook, and then paste it in the new workbook, at the end saves it.
This way is easy-to-use if you need to split only a few worksheets as separate files. However, it must be time-consuming and tedious to split many worksheets with copying and pasting manually.
The following VBA code can help you quickly split multiple worksheets of current workbook to separate Excel files, please do as follows:
1. Create a new folder for the workbook that you want to split, because the split Excel files will be stayed at the same folder as this master workbook.
2. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA: Split a workbook into multiple workbooks and save in the same folder.
Sub Splitbook() 'Updateby20140612 Dim xPath As String xPath = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each xWs In ThisWorkbook.Sheets xWs.Copy Application.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=xPath & "\" & xWs.Name & ".xlsx" Application.ActiveWorkbook.Close False Next Application.DisplayAlerts = True Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
4. Press the F5 key to run this code. And the workbook is split to separate Excel files in the same folder with the original workbook. See screenshot:
Note: If one of the sheets has the same name with the workbook, this VBA cannot work.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Split Workbook tool can split multiple worksheets as separate Excel files conveniently and quickly with only a few clicks.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. After installing Kutools for Excel, click Enterprise > Workbook > Split Workbook , see screenshot:
2. In the Split Workbook dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) All worksheet names are checked by default. If you don’t want to split some of the worksheets, you can uncheck them;
(2.) From the Save as type drop down, choose one file type you want to split and save.
(3.) Then click Split button, and in the popping out Browse For Folder dialog box, please specify a file folder to locate the separate files.
Note: If you want to avoid splitting the hidden or blank worksheets, you can check the Skip hidden worksheets or Skip blank worksheets box.
3. And then click OK to start splitting, now the selected worksheets are saved as new separated workbooks. Each new workbook is named with the original worksheet name. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Split Workbook tool makes it easy to split active workbook into individual Excel files (one file contains one worksheet), and each Excel file carries the name of the worksheet. You can set to skip all the blank and hidden worksheets. Read more…
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...