How to randomly sort cells in a column or range in Excel?
You may need to randomly sort cells in a selection in Microsoft Excel. The following ways will help you easily randomize cells of a range quickly.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
We can use Microsoft Excel's Rand function and Sort command to sort cells in each column of a range randomly with following steps:
1. Insert a help column before the range you will sort cells randomly.
2. Enter formuls =RAND( ) into the first cell of the help column, then drag the Fill Handle down to other cells (Note: The Rand function will recalculate every time, so you will get different random numbers from cell A1 to A6 in this case). See screenshot:
3. Select this new table (A1:E6), and click Data > Sort.
3. In the Sort dialog box, select Column A from the Sort by drop down list, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. You can delete or hide the help column as you need.
5. Insert columns before Column C, Column D, and Column E, and repeat Step 2 to 4 to get a new table with random order in each column, see screenshot:
1. This method requires users to repeatedly insert random numbers and sort. It will be boring if you need to sort cells in a big selection at random.
2. This method will only sort cells in each column at random, and it won't shuffle cells from different columns.
If you want to sort cells in each column or row at once, here I recommend you the Sort Range Randomly utility of Kutools for Excel. This handy tool can randomize cells in each column or row of a selection all at once in Excel. Please do as follows
1. Select the range you want to sort randomly and click Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, select Cells in each row or Cells in each column as you need under the Sort tab, and then click the OK button.
Then cells in selection are sorted randomly in each row or column at once as below screenshot shown.
Kutools for Excel's Sort Range Randomly function also can sort entire rows or columns in a selection randomly.
1. Select a range you want to sort, and click Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly, see screenshot:
2. In the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, select Entire rows under the Sort tab if you want to sort entire rows randomly. Or select Entire columns to sort columns randomly, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now rows or columns are sorted randomly in seletced range as below screenshot shown.
If you want to sort all cells randomly in a range, this utility will also be a good choice.
1. Select the range you will sort all cells randomly, and click Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly. See screenshot:
2. Select All cells in the range under the Sort tab in the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all cells in selected range are sorted randomly. See screenshot:
- How to generate random strings in Excel 2007/2010?
- How to insert random numbers in a range in Excel 2007/2010?
- How to select cells randomly in Excel 2007/2010?