How to quickly insert blank /empty rows in Excel?
Most of us may face the problem in Excel that we need to insert a blank row between each of the existing rows, and all of us know how to insert a blank row manually. But inserting hundreds of blank rows will be a tedious task if you insert each row individually. Here are some quick tricks to help you solve this problem.
Recommended Productivity Tools
This method is an easier but roundabout to insert blank rows between exiting rows. You can do as follows:
1. You need a blank column adjacent to your data. For example, I have a worksheet comprises A1:E9, you can use column F.
2. In cell F1 input the number 1, and input 2 in cell F2.
3. Select the number 1 and number 2, and double-click the fill handle, Excel will auto-fill the cells in column F.
4. Then copy this new column F (F1:F9), select the cell F10, and paste the auto-fill number from F1:F9. See screenshot:
5. And then click Data > Sort, and a Sort Warning dialog box will pop out, select Expand the selection option, and click Sort… See screenshot:
6. And a Sort dialog box will appear, choose Column F from the Sort by dropdown list. See screenshot:
7. Click OK. Then delete the column F. And the new blank rows have been inserted in the exiting rows. See screenshot:
Note: If you would like to insert two or three blank rows between each row, you can copy the new auto-fill column two or three times to add the new rows.
If the above way is a little complex, you can also use the VBA code to solve it.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
Sub InsertBlackRows() 'Updateby20131127 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim FirstRow As Integer, xRows As Integer, xCols As Integer On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) FirstRow = WorkRng.Row xRows = WorkRng.Rows.Count xCols = WorkRng.Columns.Count Application.ScreenUpdating = False WorkRng.Cells(xRows, 1).Resize(1, xCols).Select Do Until Selection.Row = FirstRow Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove Selection.Offset(-1, 0).Select Loop Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
2. Then click button to run the code, then a dialog is diaplayed on the screen for you to select a range to insert blank rows, see screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and a new blank row will be inserted between every two rows. See screenshots:
The two methods all just refer to inserting blank rows between each rows, if I want to insert a blank row after every nth rows, how should I do?
The tool Insert blank rows & columns of Kutools for Excel can help you to do this quickly and easily.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the range that you want to insert the blank rows.
2. Click Kutools > Insert > Insert Blank Rows & Columns…, see screenshot:
3. In the Insert Blank Rows & Columns dialog box, choose Blank rows from Insert type, and then specify the numbers into Interval of and Rows box that you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK. And the blank rows have been inserted after every two rows. See screenshots:
Note: the number in the Interval of and Rows can be adjusted to meet your need. For example, you can insert three, four, five… blank rows after every one, two, three… rows.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 120 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoIt worked, it did the trick for me. Thanks!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSiperb. Thanks . u r the best...!!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agothe best problem solve ever!!!
the kutools work like what i want to do..thank you so much!!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThis is EXACTLY what I was looking for, simple, brilliant, something I never would have thought of. (1st method)
Thank you! (saved me at least 3 hrs of work) :lol:
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks for publish these important Tricks for solving Critical problems.