How to convert between hours, minutes, seconds or days in Excel?
How do you figure out how many minutes are in the one and a half day, or how many hours are in the five million seconds? This article will show you some easy way to deal with it.
1. Convert time between hour, minute, second, or day with conversion factor
As we known, 1 hour = 60 minutes = 3600 seconds =1/24 day. So we can convert the time measurement with multiplying these factors.
Convert between hours to seconds:
For example, to convert the hours to seconds, please enter the formula =A2*3600, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells to get the results you need, see screenshot:
If you want to convert seconds to hours, just apply this formula: =A2/3600.
Tips: Convert between hours and minutes, days:
|Convert hours to minutes:||=A2*60|
|Convert minutes to hours:||=A2/60|
|Convert hours to days:||=A2/24|
|Convert days to hours:||=A2*24|
2. Convert time between hour, minute, second, or day with Convert function
It is hard to remember the conversion factors? You can use the Convert function to convert tween hour, minutes, seconds or days too.
To convert hours to seconds:
Please type this formula =CONVERT(A2,"hr","sec") to easily convert cells from hours to seconds at once. See screenshot:
If you want to convert seconds to hours, just apply this formula: =CONVERT(A2,"sec","hr").
Tips: Just replace the unit name in the formula, you can easily convert between these time measurements.
|measurement||using in formula|
Do not need to remember neither the conversion factor nor the function, Kutools for Excel's Unit Conversion tool can help you easily deal with it.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
1. Select a range you want to work with.
2. Click the Kutools > Content > Unit Conversion. See screenshot:
3. Specify the Time unit in the drop-down box of Unit, and then select source unit in the left box, converted unit in the right box, and you will see the result in the Preview box. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok or Apply. The time between hours and minutes are converted as following screenshot shown:
Note: If you want to keep the source unit in the cells and show results in the comment, you can check Add results as comment. See screenshot:
Sometimes you may get a time with hour, minutes, and seconds together, and now you can use the following formulas to convert it to minutes, seconds or hours.
Convert hh:mm:ss time format to hours:
Please apply this formula to convert the hh:mm:ss time format to hours: =HOUR(A2) + MINUTE(A2)/60 + SECOND(A2)/3600,and drag the fill handle to the cells that you want to contain this formula.
To convert hh:mm:ss time format to minutes: =((HOUR(A2)*60)+MINUTE(A2)+(SECOND(A2)/60));
To convert hh:mm:ss time format to seconds: =HOUR(A2)*3600 + MINUTE(A2)*60 + SECOND(A2).
Are you tired with the formulas, so ,here, I can introduce you a handy and easy tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Convert Time feature, you can quickly finish this job without any formulas.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Select the time cells that you want to convert.
2. Click Kutools > Content > Convert Time, then choose Time to Hours / Time to Minutes / Time to Seconds as you need, see screenshot:
3. And the selected time cells have been converted into the desired hours, minutes or seconds you need, see screenshot:
Tips: If you want the converted result located in another location, you can go the Convert Time dialog by clicking Kutools > Content > Convert Time, in the Convert Time dialog box, choose the convert type you need, and then check Save to another location checkbox, and click a cell where you want to put the result, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!