How to add percentage symbol for multiple numbers in cells in Excel?
Supposing you need to add a percentage symbol for a number, most of time you may select this cell first, and then click the button under Home tab, or right click > Format cells > Percentage > OK. By doing this, it won't only add a percentage sign to the number, but also to multiply the number by 100. For example, it'll convert the number 6 to 600% in the cell.
However, if you only want to add a percentage sign to the number without multiplying the number by 100, such as to convert 6 to 6% in cell, how would you get it done? This article will guide you to add only the percentage sign for both single and multiple general numbers in cells quickly.
If you want to add percentage sign to a number without multiplying the number by 100, such as to change 6 into 6% in Excel with Percentage Style, you should have the general number divided by 100 first, and then apply the Percentage Style to the numbers for displaying them as percentage 6% in Excel.
1. In a blank cell, enter the formula =A1/100, and then drag this cell's Fill Handle to the range as you need. Now you will see each cell is divided 100. See screenshot:
2. Keep selecting the new range, and click Home > Percentage button . See screenshot:
Then all numbers in new range are added with only the percentage sign without multiplying 100. See screenshot:
This method will introduce Kutools for Excel's Operation utility to batch divide each number by 100, and then change the number format to percentage. Please do as follows:
1. Select the range that you will work with, and click the Kutools > More (in the Editing group) > Operation. See screenshot:
2. In the Operation Tools dialog box, select the Division in the Operation list, enter 100 in the blank box in Operand section, and click Ok button. See screenshot:
3. Keep selecting the range, and change the number format by clicking Home > Percentage button .
Then all numbers in the selected range are added the percentage sign as soon as possible without multiplying 100. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Operation Tools can perform common math operations in multiple cells together, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc. Click to know more…
Actually, Kutools for Excel provides another Add Text utility for us to quickly add percentage sign for multiple numbers in Excel. You can do as follows:
1. Select the numbers that you will add percentage sign for, and click the Kutools > Text > Add Text.
2. In the opening Add Text dialog box, type % into the Text box, check the After last character option, and make sure the Skip non-text cells option in unchecked, finally click the Ok button. See above screenshot:
Now you will percentage sign is added behind selected general numbers as below screen shot shown:
- Add text to the beginning or end of all cells
- Add strings of text to multiple cells
- Add/ insert leading zeros to numbers or text
- Add/ insert prefix or suffix to selected cells, rows, and columns