How to add text to the beginning or end of all cells in Excel?
Sometimes you may need to add same specific text to the beginning or end of all cells in a selection. If you added the text to each cell manually one by one, it must be time-consuming. Are there easier ways? Yes, there are many easy tricks to add same text to the beginning or end of all cells in a selection.
Recommended Productivity Tools
There are two formulas to add specified text to the beginning or end of all selected cells in Microsoft Excel.
Method 1: & formula
Enter the ="Class A:"&A2 in Cell C2, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells you want to aply this formula. And the specific text has been added before all of the cells, see screenshot:
Method 2: Concatenate formula
Enter the =Concatenate ("Class A:", A2) in Cell C2, and then drag and copy this formula to the cells you want to use, see screenshot:
1. If you want to add other specified text in each cell, just replace the Class A: with your text in both formulas.
2. The formulas of =A2 & ": Class A" and =Concatenate (A2, ": Class A") will add : Class A at the end of the cells.
3. Both formulas will not modify the contents in selection directly.
If you want to add specified text in each cells of a selection directly, the following VBA Macro will ease your work.
1. Select the range in which you will add specified text;
2. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following VBA code in the Module Window.
VBA: Adding specified text at the beginning of each cell:
Sub AppendToExistingOnLeft() Dim c As Range For Each c In Selection If c.Value <> "" Then c.Value = "CN- " & c.Value Next End Sub
4. Press F5 key to run this macro. And all of the cells will be added the value CN- before the cell contents.
Notes: 1. To add some specific text at the end of each cell, please apply the following VBA code.
VBA: Adding specified text at the end of each cell:
Sub AppendToExistingOnRight() Dim c as range For each c in Selection If c.value <> "" Then c.value = c.value & "-CN" Next End Sub
And you will get the following result:
2. you can change the variable "CN-" or "-CN" of the above codeas.
Kutools for Excel's Add Text tool will help you quickly add specified text to the beginning or end of each cell in a selection.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the range in which you will add specified text.
2. Click the Kutools > Text > Add Text…. See screenshot:
3. In Add Text dialog box, enter the text you need to add in the Text box.
(1.) If you check Before first character from the Position section, and the specific text will be added in front of all the cell values, see screenshot:
(2.) If you check After last character from the Position section, and the specific text will be added at the end of the cell values, see screenshot:
1. Kutools for Excel's Add Text tool allows you to preview the changes in selection in Preview section.
2. If you check the Skip non-text cells option, this tool won't add the specified text in cells with non-text content.
Applying Kutools for Excel's Add Text function, you can not only add the specified text to the beginning or end of the cells, but also you can add the specified text to the specified position of the cells.
1. Select a range you want to add text to, and then click Kutools > Text > Add Text.
2. The Add Text dialog will be displayed, and enter the specified text and specify the certain position which you want to insert the text in the boxes. See screenshot:
Tip: Here I type 3 into the Specify textbox means that add text after the third character of the string.
3. Click Ok or Apply. The specified text has been added to the specified position of the cells. See screenshot:
- Add strings of text to multiple cells
- Add/ insert leading zeros to numbers or text
- Add/ insert prefix or suffix to selected cells, rows, and columns
- Add percentage symbol for multiple numbers in cells
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoUm... I know the basics of Excel, definitely didn't know anything about the Microsoft Visual screen and these steps were so crystal clear to follow. I was able to create my first macro, which made the 400 accounts i needed to do this to, a BILLION times easier.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoThank you for the VBA. It saved me a ton of time and effort.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoThank you so much. Thank once again!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoI want to display this number in percentage Exp: Volume Achieved-KG 30%
but all it is coming is Volume Achieved-KG 30 any one can help me on this.
="Volume Achieved-KG "&ROUND(SUM($H$20*100),0)
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoAwesome! I am try this last day, and its works smoothly without any error...thanks for your assist..
- ← Previous
- Next →