How to Convert Tab Characters to White Space in Word?
If you need to reformat a document, changing tabs to white spaces may be required. Is there any quicker way to convert tabs to spaces in Word? This tutorial will show you some methods for converting tabs to spaces in word as follows:
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Amazing! Use Efficient Tabs in Word (Office) like Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer!
Instead of changing tabs to spaces one by one, the Word’s Find and Replace function is commonly used to convert tabs to spaces.
Step 1: Click Home > Replace to open the Find and Replace window;
Step 2: Click More button to bring up more Search Options;
Step 2: Place the cursor in the Find What field, and select Tab Character from the Special pull-down menu (or enter “^t” in the Find What field)；
Step 3: Enter a space character (press space button on your keyboard) in the Replace With field;
Step 4: Click Replace All.
You may run macro to convert all tab characters to spaces if you are good at VBA code.
Step 1: Press “Alt-F11” to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window;
Step 2: Click Module on the Insert tab, copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module window;
Step 3: Then click Runbutton to apply the VBA.
VBA: Convert tabs to spaces in Word:
Sub Replacetabswithspaces() Selection.Find.ClearFormatting Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting With Selection.Find .Text = "^t" .Replacement.Text = " " .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindContinue .Format = False .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchByte = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchWildcards = False .MatchFuzzy = False End With Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll End Sub
The simplest way to convert tabs to spaces may be the way with Kutools for Word. After you select the whole document or a part of the document, only one click will convert all tab characters to white space immediately.
Click Kutools > Tab to Space on the Paragraph group. See screenshot:
For more detailed information about Convert Tabs to Spaces of Kutools for Word, please visit: Tab to Space feature description.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 months agoThis doesn't work if I use a tab to indent a paragraph. There is no visible ^t character at the beginning of the paragraph so no spaces are put in place of the non-existant tab character. What to do?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThanks for this. A great help.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoyou saved my life
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agothank u...it worked out in well manner