Customize current view - filter emails
Normally when you display the Inbox folder in the preset compact view, single view, or preview view, all emails are listing in the message list. In fact, you can filter emails and display emails meeting criteria only in the message list.
Note: This tutorial is introduced based on exchange account in Microsoft Outlook 2019 desktop program in Windows 10. And it may vary significantly or slightly depending on the types of email accounts (Exchange, IMAP or POP), the versions of Microsoft Outlook, and Windows environments.
After opening the Inbox folder, you can click Unread at the top of message list to filter out all unread emails immediately. And clear the filter by clicking All at the top of the message list.
You can also click arrow at the top of the message list to activate the drop-down menu, and then click Unread Mail or Mentioned Mail from the drop-down menu to filter unread or mentioned emails, and click All Mail from the drop-down menu to clear filter.
You can change the view settings to filter emails by specified criteria easily. Please do as follows:
1. After opening the Inbox folder, please click View > View Settings.
2. In the Advanced View Settings dialog, please click the Filter button.
3. In the Filter dialog, you can add one or more filter criteria as you need.
(1) Under the Messages tab, you can add below filter criteria:
- Search for the word(s): filter emails by the specified keywords in the subject or message body;
- From: filter emails by sender;
- Send To: filter emails by recipients;
- Where I am: filter emails that were sent to me only, filter emails that were Cc to multiple people including me, or filter emails that were sent to multiple people including me;
- Time: filter emails by received time, sent time, due time, expires time, created time, or modified time.
(2) Under the More Choices tab, you can add below filter criteria:
- Categories: filter emails by one or multiple categories;
- Only items that are: filter unread or read emails;
- Only items with: filter emails with or without attachments;
- Whose importance is: filter emails by importance status;
- Only items which: filter emails by flag status;
- Match case: filter emails with case sensitive;
- Size: filter emails by message size.
(3) Under the Advanced tab, you can add multiple custom filter criteria as you need.
For example, you want to filter emails by Cc recipient, you can specified the filter criteria as “Cc contains specified email address” in the Define more criteria section, and click Add to List button to add this custom filter criteria to the Find items that match these criteria list box.
You can add as many filter criteria as you need here, and logic relationship between these criteria is AND.
4. Click the OK buttons successively to save the filter settings.
Now you will see the emails are filtered, and only emails meeting all specified filter criteria are listing in the message list.
Tip: If you filter emails by changing the view settings, you can clear the filter as follows: (1) Click View > View Settings; (2) In the Advanced View Settings dialog, then click the Filter button; (3) In the Filter dialog, click the Clear All button firstly, and then click the OK button; (4) At last click the OK button to close the Advanced View Settings dialog.
You can clear all custom view setting and restore the default view by clicking View > Reset View easily.
More articles ...
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.