Customize current view - sort emails
After opening the Inbox mail folder, you will see the emails are automatically grouped and sorted by received date in the message list. In some cases, you may want to sort emails with one or more criteria. Here, this tutorial will show you the solution to sort emails in the message list.
- Quick sort emails by arrangement commands
- Quick sort emails by clicking column header
- Sort emails by configuring view settings
Note: This tutorial is introduced based on exchange account in Microsoft Outlook 2019 desktop program in Windows 10. And it may vary significantly or slightly depending on the types of email accounts (Exchange, IMAP or POP), the versions of Microsoft Outlook, and Windows environments.
You can quickly sort emails by clicking commands in the Arrangement box in the View tab on the Ribbon.
1. For example, you want to sort emails by sender, you need to click the More icon at the bottom-right corner of the Arrangement box on the View tab, and then click Show in Groups to disable it.
2. Then click From in the Arrangement box to sort emails by sender, and click Reverse Sort to reverse the current sort order as you need.
Tips: You can also click the arrow at the top of message list, and then specify sorting criteria in the Arrange by section of the drop-down list to sort emails in the message list. And click A to Z or Z to A in the drop-down list or at the top of message list to reverse the sort order.
If the columns are displaying in the view, you can click a certain column header to quickly sort all emails by the field at ease.
(1) If the Inbox folder is in the compact view, you can click View > Reading Pane > Off or Bottom to display all columns.
(2) If the Outlook interface is too narrow to display all columns, columns will disappear.
You can configure the view settings and sort emails by one or multiple criteria as you need.
1. After opening the Inbox folder, please click View > View Settings.
2. In the Advanced View Settings dialog, please click the Sort button.
3. In the popping out Sort dialog, in the Sort items by section, select the primary sort criteria from the drop-down list, and check the proper sort order as you need.
(1) If you need to add secondary sort criteria, please go to the first Then by section, select the secondary sort criteria and sort order. So does the third and the fourth sort criteria.
(2) If you can not find out the proper sort criteria from the drop-down list, you can change the field category from the Select available fields from drop-down list, and then specify the sort criteria.
4. Click the OK buttons successively to save the view settings.
Now all emails are sorted by the specified sort criteria in the message list.
1. You can click Date in the Arrangement box in the View tab on the Ribbon to clear the customized sorting and restore the original sorting.
2. You can clear all customized view setting from the current view with clicking View > Reset View.
More articles ...
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.