How to add arrows to line / column chart in Excel?
If there is column chart or line chart in your worksheet, sometimes, you need to add the arrows to the column chart to indicate the relationship of increasing and decreasing. Actually, there isn’t a direct way to add the arrows to the column bar, but you can draw the arrow shapes and copy them to the column chart. Today, I will talk about how to add arrows to the line or column chart.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Supposing I have a range data and a column chart based on it as follow, and now I want to add some down arrows and up arrows based on the data.
You can convert these data columns to arrows as following steps:
1. Insert an arrow shape to a blank section of this worksheet by clicking Insert > Shapes, and choosing Up Arrow or Down Arrow from the Block Arrows section as you need.
2. Then drag the mouse to draw the arrows as you want, and you can format the arrows' styles as you need. See screenshot:
3. Select one of the arrows that you want to use and press Ctrl +C to copy it, and then click a column in the chart and all the columns will be selected.
4. Then press Ctrl +V to paste the arrow to the chart, you will get the following result:
5. After finishing this, you can delete the arrow shapes as you like.
Note: If you want to add up arrow and down arrow as your need, you just need to select only one column, and paste your specified arrow repeatedly. And you will get this:
In a line chart, you can alsoadd the arrows to indicate the data trends, please do as these:
1. In your created line chart, select the data line and right click, then choose Format Data Series from the context menu, see screenshot:
2. In the Format Data Series dialog, click Line Style from the left pane, and then specify the Arrow Settings, you can select the arrow type and size as you need. See screenshot:
3. Then close this dialog, and the arrows have been added to the line chart, see screenshot:
- How to add image as background into chart in Excel?
- How to copy one chart format to others in Excel?
- How to add a scrollbar to chart in Excel?