How to add comment to chart in Excel?
As we all known, it is easy for us to insert comments to cells in workbook. But, have you ever tried to insert comment to a chart? That is to say, when you move the mouse over a chart in a worksheet, there will appear a pop-up comment. Normally, Excel doesn’t provide us the way to add comment to the chart directly, but here, I can talk about some interesting tricks for you to deal with this task.
You can insert the comment to a chart using the hyperlink feature, please do as following steps:
1. Select your chart that you want to insert a comment.
2. Then press Ctrl + K keys to open the Insert Hyperlink dialog, and in the dialog box, select Place in this Document from the Link to pane, and enter the address of a cell which close to your chart as you need, then click ScreenTip button, see screenshot:
3. And in the Set Hyperlink ScreenTip dialog, please type the comment content you need to display into the ScreenTip text box, see screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK to close the dialogs, and now, when you hover the mouse pointer over the chart, a small note appears which contains the ScreenTip text as following screenshot shown:
Here also have a simple VBA code, by applying this code, it will pop out a message box including the text content which just like a comment.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Sub MyMacro() MsgBox "A column chart is a graphic representation of data. Column charts display verticalbars going across the chart horizontally, with the values axis being displayed on the left side of the chart. " End Sub
Note: You can change the text which will be displayed as comment content after the MsgBox in the above code as you need.
3. Then save and close this code window, back to your worksheet, select the chart and right-click, then choose Assign Macro from the context menu, see screenshot:
4. And in the Assign Macro dialog, select the code name that created in above code just now, MyMacro, for instance. See screenshot:
5. Then click OK to close this dialog, and when you click the chart, you will see a message box that contains the text you typed in your macro, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!