How to find and replace asterisk / question mark / tilde in Excel?
When you work with an Excel file, you want to find the cells which contain asterisk, question mark or tilde and replace the specific characters with other values. Most of you may consider directly entering the asterisk (*), question mark (?) or tilde (~) character into the Find text box and replace them. But in this way, you will get the wrong result. This article, I will talk about how to find and replace asterisk / question mark / tilde in Excel quickly and correctly.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To find and replace these specific characters, you need to add a character tilde (~) before the asterisk, question mark or tilde in the Find what text box, please do with the following steps:
1. Select the range cells that you want to replace the specific characters.
2. Go to click Home > Find & Replace > Replace or you can press Ctrl + H shortcuts to open the Find and Replace dialog, see screenshot:
3. In the Find and Replace dialog box, enter ~* into the Find what text box to find the cells which have the * character, and then type the value which you want to replace with in Replace with text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click Replace All button in the dialog, and all asterisks have been replaced with the value you want.
5. At last, close the Find and Replace dialog box.
Note: If you need to replace the question mark or tilde characters, you just enter ~? or ~~ into the Find what text box.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoThis does not work in WPS Office. How to find and replace a "tilde" symbol in WPS Office?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoThank you! This was so helpful.