How to show comments when cell is selected in Excel?
When we insert some comments in a workbook, we can hover the mouse over the cell which contains the comment to make the comment pop up. But if you select the cell using the arrow keys, the comment won't display. Here, I will show you how to display comment when cell is selected in Excel.
Excel provides an alternative to cell comments. The Excel’s Data Validation feature can help us to display a pop-up message when a cell is selected. Using this method, we needn’t to insert the comment by the normal way. We can insert the comment through the Input Message option of Data Validation feature.
1. Click a cell where you want to insert the comment.
2. Go to click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation, see screenshot:
3. In the Data Validation dialog box, go to the Input Message tab, and check Show input message when cell is selected option, then you can enter the title and message as your need. See screenshot:
4. After inputting the message that you need, click OK to close this dialog. And now when you select the cell, the message will be popped up just look like a comment.
Show comments when cell is selected with VBA code
If there are multiple comments in your worksheet already, to retype them one by one with the above method will be time consuming, so, I can introduce a VBA code to help you show the comment when cell is selected.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then choose your used worksheet from the left Project Explorer, double click it to open the Module, and then copy and paste following VBA code into the blank Module:
VBA code: Show comments when cell is selected
Private FRg As Range
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
On Error Resume Next
If (FRg Is Nothing) = False Then
FRg.Comment.Visible = False
Target.Comment.Visible = True
Set FRg = Target
3. Save and close the code, and return to the worksheet, now, when you select a cell with comment by pressing arrow key, the comment will be shown as follows:
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.