How to auto number merged cells in Excel?
How could we fill series numbers into a list of different size merged cells in Excel? First in our mind is to drag the Autofill handle to fill the merged cells, but, in this case, we will get the following warning message, and can’t fill the merged cells.
Since the fill handle does not support the merged cells, here, I can talk about some other tricks for solving this problem.
The following VBA code can help you to number the selected merged cells quickly. Please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Auto number merged cells
Sub NumberCellsAndMergedCells() 'Update 20141028 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type: = 8) Set WorkRng = WorkRng.Columns(1) xIndex = 1 Set Rng = WorkRng.Range("A1") Do While Not Intersect(Rng, WorkRng) Is Nothing Rng.Value = xIndex xIndex = xIndex + 1 Set Rng = Rng.MergeArea.Offset(1) Loop End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to let you select the merged cells you want to fill, see screenshot:
4. After selecting the merged cells, and click OK, now, your selected merged cells have been filled with sequential numbers, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!