How to separate colors for positive and negative bars in column/bar chart?
In Excel, when we create a chart with both positive numbers and negative numbers, all the series data bars are the same color by default. To make the chart more clear and professional, sometimes, we want to separate different colors for positive and negative bars in the chart. In this tutorial, I will introduce you an easy way for giving different colors to the positive and negative bars in column or bar chart.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In fact, there is an option called Invert if Negative feature which can help us to give a different color for the negative bar in Excel, please do as follows:
1. Right click the data series bar, and choose Format Data Series from the context menu, see screenshot:
2. Then in the Format Data Series dialog box, click Fill in the left pane, and check Invert if negative option, see screenshot:
3. Then you need to fill color for the data series, please check Solid fill option in the right section, and choose the colors for your positive and negative data bar as you like under the Fill Color section, see screenshot:
4. After choosing the colors, click Close button to exit the dialog, and now, you can see the positive and negative data bars have been filled with different colors separately in your chart.
1. If you have Excel 2013, choose the Format Data Series from the right click menu to open the Format Data Series pane, and then click Fill & Line icon, and check Invert if negative option, then check Solid fill and specify the colors for the positive and negative data bar as you want beside Color section.
2. This method also can be applied to the bar chart.