How to create a drop down list calendar (date picker) in Excel?
With drop down calendar in Excel worksheet, you can easily select a specific date from it without manually typing. This tutorial shows you how to create a calendar in Excel worksheet using the ActiveX Control.
For creating a drop down calendar in Excel, please do as follows.
Note: This method works with Microsoft Excel 2007 and 32-bit versions of Excel 2016, 2013 and 2010.
1. Firstly, if you cannot see the Developer tab in the ribbon, you need to show it as follows.
- 1). In Excel 2010 and the later version, click File > Options. And in the Options dialog box, click Customize Ribbon in the right pane, check the Developer box, then click the OK button. See screenshot:
- 2). If you are using Excel 2007, click Office button > Excel Options. In the Excel Options dialog box, click Popular in the right bar, then check the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon box, and finally click the OK button.
2. Then click Developer > Insert > More Controls. See screenshot:
3. In the More Control dialog box, select Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control 6.0 (SP6) and then click the OK button.
4. Then draw the drop down list to the worksheet where you want it to appear, and resize the box with dragging its corner.
5. Right click the drop down list and click Properties from the list. In the Properties dialog box, enter a specific cell in the LinkedCell box, and then close the dialog box. See screenshot:
Note: If you enter the cell B3 into the LinkedCell box, when you selecting a date in the drop down calendar, the date will be linked and displayed in the cell B3.
6. An error dialog box will pop up after closing the Properties dialog, the OK button.
6. Now you need to turn off the Design Mode in this worksheet with clicking Developer > Design Mode.
7. Click the arrow button to show the drop down calendar. When selecting date in the calendar, it will be automatically populated in the cell you specified above.
As the above method has Excel version restrictions, here highly recommended the Date Picker utility of Kutools for Excel. With this feature, you can easily pick up a date from a popping up drop down calendar when clicking on a date cell. Please do as follows to get it down.
1. Click Kutools > Content > Enable Date Picker to enable this feature.
2. After enabling this feature, click on a date cell, a calendar icon will pop up right to the cell.
3. Click the calendar icon to open the Date Picker dialog box, and then click a new date to replace the existing date in selected cell.
- Undo button: Click this button to undo replacing date;
- Close button: Click this button to close the Date Picker dialog box;
- This feature can only apply to cells containing date. It skips blank cells and other value cells.
For quickly inserting date into blank cells, here introduce the Insert Date utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily pick up date with specific format from a calendar and insert into selected cell with double-clicking. See below demo:
Download and try it now! (30-day free trail)
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!