How to vlookup to another workbook?
As we all known, the VLOOKUP function can be used in the same workbook, have you ever tried to apply this VLOOKUP function in two different workbook? In fact, this function also can be applied between two workbooks, please read this article to know more details.
Supposing I have the following two workbooks which are Jan-orders and Feb-orders, now, I want to vlookup from the Jan-orders and return their corresponding values into Feb-orders.
To vlookup from one workbook to another workbook, you can use the VLOOKUP function as usual, and you just need to change the lookup range to another workbook, see following formulas: =VLOOKUP(A2,'[Jan-orders.xlsx]Sheet31'!$A$2:$C$7,2,FALSE)
1. Open both workbooks that you want to vlookup from one to another.
2. Then create the VLOOKUP formula, click one cell where you want to put the result, and then click Formulas > Lookup & Reference > VLOOKUP, see screenshot:
3. In the Function Arguments dialog, choose the lookup-value in the current workbook, and then select the lookup range or table-array from another workbook, then enter the col-index-num that your matched value is returned, at last, type FALSE into the Range-lookup text box, see screenshot:
4. After finishing the arguments, please click OK, then drag the fill handle over to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and you can see the corresponding values from another workbook will be returned:
If the lookup table workbook is open, the VLOOKUP formula will show the workbook name and the referenced range address, but, if the lookup table workbook is closed, the full file path for the lookup table workbook will be shown in the formula as following screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!