How to subscript all numbers in chemical formulas in Excel?
Have you ever confused with subscripting the numbers in a chemical formula in Excel as below screenshot shown? In this tutorial, you may get the good solutions to solve this tedious task in Excel.
(Steps) Subscript letters one by one with Format Cells function
(One click) Subscript all numbers in a cell/range once with Kutools for Excel
Subscript letters one by one with Format Cells function
In Excel, you can subscript letters by applying Format Cells function.
1. Double click at the chemical formula cell you need, and then select one number that you want to subscript, see screenshot:
2. Then right click to select Format Cells from the displayed context menu, and in the Format Cells dialog, check Subscript under the Effects section. See screenshot:
3. Click OK. Now the selected number is subscripted.
To repeat above steps to subscript the discontinuous numbers one by one.
Subscript all numbers in a cell/range once with Kutools for Excel
If you have multiple numbers needed to be subscripted in chemical formulas, the above method must waste time and tedious. But do not worry, Kutools for Excel’s Subscript Numbers in Chemical Formulas utility can quickly subscript all numbers in the selected cells.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Select the chemical formula cells, and then click Kutools > Text > Subscript Numbers in Chemical Formulas. See screenshot:
Then a dialog pops out to remind you the number of subscripted cells, just click OK to close it. And then you can see all the numbers in the chemical formulas are subscripted.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!