How to prevent changes to the whole workbook?
In some special cases, you may want to prevent any changes to a specific workbook after you finishing the edit. The most direct and easiest way to handle this problem is to protect the whole workbook. But in Excel’s built-in utilities, the Protect Workbook just can protect the workbook’s structure and window. So how can you prevent any changes to the whole workbook?
To protect the whole workbook from changing, you can protect its sheets one by one to achieve this goal.
1. Click Review > Protect Sheet, and in the Protect Sheet dialog, enter the password for protecting the sheet, and then you can uncheck the operation in the Allow all users of this worksheet to section to prevent all users from doing changes. In default, a protected sheets only allow users selecting locked cells and unlocked cells. See screenshot:
2. Click OK, and reenter the password again, and click OK to finishing the protecting. See screenshot:
3. Repeat above steps to protect all sheets in the workbook.
If there are several sheets needed to protect, above method maybe not boring for you, but how about hundreds and thousands of worksheets in a workbook needed to be protected? Kutools for Excel’s Protect Worksheet can quickly protect all sheets in a workbook.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Click Enterprise > Protect Worksheet. See screenshot:
2. A Protect Worksheet dialog pops out, and all the sheets in the workbook are listing in it, in default, all the sheet tabs are checked, and click Ok to go to the second Protect Worksheet dialog, and type the password into both the Password textbox and the Retype Password textbox, and then to specify the operations you allow users to do in the Allow all users of this worksheet to section.
3. Click Ok, and the whole workbook is protected from any changes by all users.
- How to quickly extract rows that meet criteria in Excel?
- How to quickly average visible/filtered cells only in Excel?
- How to quickly count visible or filtered cells only in Excel?
- How to rename an opened or active workbook in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!