How to convert serial number to date in Excel?
Sometimes, when you apply some formulas or format the cell as number format, you will get a serial number such as 42088 instead of the normal date 3/25/2015. For converting these serial number to real date, the following methods in this article will help you.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
The Format Cells function can help you easily convert serial number to date in Excel.
1. Select the cells with serial number that you want to convert to date, right click and then select Format Cells from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. In the Format Cells dialog box, please go to the Number tab, click Date in the Category box, and if you need, specify a date format in the Type box, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then the selected cells with serial numbers are converted to dates immediately.
You can also convert serial number to date with formula in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell (says cell B2) adjacent to the serial number cell you need to convert to date, then enter formula =TEXT(A2,"m/d/yyyy") into the Formula Bar, and press the Enter key.
2. Keep selecting cell B2, then drag its Fill Handle to the cell with the serial number you need to convert to date. Then you can see all serial numbers are converted to corresponding dates in a helper column.
Besides the above two methods, The Apply Date Formatting utility of Kutools for Excel can not only help you converting serial numbers to dates, but providing various date formatting for you to use.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the cells with serial numbers you need to convert to date, then click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting. See screenshot:
2. And in the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, choose a kind of date format from the Date formatting box, and finally click the OK button.
You can see the selected cells with serial numbers are converted to specific date format immediately.
- How to change American date format in Excel?
- How to convert birthdate to age quickly in Excel?
- How to remove year from date in Excel?